Marriage Licenses

Marriage licenses are issued in the Probate Court Office, 25 West Jefferson Street, Jefferson, Ohio. 
Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM Monday through Friday.
Phone: 440-576-3453

 All marriage licenses are good on the day they are issued and are legal for 60 days. The wedding ceremony must be performed, the license signed, and returned by the person performing the ceremony within 60 days or the license expires.

What You Need to Bring

Approximately 650 marriage licenses are issued annually by the Ashtabula County Probate Court to couples who desire to be married within the State of Ohio. Couples should bring a current photo ID, like a driver's license or State ID, a Social Security card, and $45 in cash or money orders. The office does not accept personal checks.

The photo ID must have the person's current address on it, otherwise proof of residency is required. A utility bill with a current address is acceptable. If a person does not have a photo ID then they must bring their birth certificate, along with a utility bill, and Social Security card. A divorcee must provide a certified copy of divorce papers (including Judge's signature, stamp, and seal) and widowers must provide a death certificate before a marriage license will be issued.

Residents & Non-Residents

The soon-to-be-married couple must provide their parent's name, and the mother's maiden name. Ashtabula County residents can get a marriage license in Ashtabula County, however if the bride or groom does not live in Ohio the ceremony must be performed in Ashtabula County. Those who live outside of the United States must bring a current passport and visa along with other items to get a marriage license.


There are also special requirements for minor to get married. He must be at least 18 years old and she must be at least 16 years old. Pre-marriage counseling by a certified counselor or minister is required and a custodial parent must sign the application. If the custodial parent has gone through a divorce, proof of custody must be provided. Minors must also bring a Social Security card, birth certificate, and photo ID with a current address.